Update on COVID Booster programme
A message from Middlewood
Many of you will be aware from the media that a programme for COVID boosters has been announced by the Government.
We have carefully considered how Middlewood should be involved in the COVID booster programme. We had to decide to what extent our practice staff would provide the booster vaccine, as well as our fixed commitment to the annual flu and pneumonia vaccination programme, and alongside our usual practice services. We know from our experience with the COVID vaccination programme, involvement takes a lot of effort and staffing that is not available to provide our usual services.
After much discussion, we have decided that, the best interests of our patients will be served by us:
- offering the usual annual flu and pneumonia vaccinations to all eligible patients at all our practice bases in Bollington, Disley and Poynton.
- offering COVID booster vaccinations to patients who are housebound or resident in a care home.
- focussing on continuing to deliver our ‘core’ general practice services for all our patients in Bollington, Disley and Poynton, and wherever possible doing this from your local surgery.
In coming to this decision we have considered a number of factors , many based on feedback from you, our patients, over the past year. These factors include:
- The importance of ensuring that COVID booster vaccinations are given to our most vulnerable patients, including our housebound and care home residents.
- The options of local pharmacies and other vaccination centres who will be well placed to offer booster vaccinations to other eligible individuals. We know that NHS England are looking at options for providing vaccination clinics in Poynton to replace the clinic Middlewood previously run. The venue for this clinic has not been confirmed. Please note this will not be a Middlewood Clinic and therefore Middlewood will not be sending the invitations or booking the appointments, these will be done by NHS Digital. We will provide further details as soon as we are made aware of any updates.
- Our need to continue to focus on resuming all activities for our patients who have chronic diseases, following the COVID pandemic.
- Our ambition to keep providing as many services as possible in each local practice base. To do this, we need as many of our clinical staff as possible to be available to offer appointments in Bollington, Disley and Poynton
- Our wish to maintain, and offer more, face-to-face appointments for those patients who want a face-to-face appointment
- Patients’ wishes not to travel to Poynton for their COVID booster – under the scope of the booster programme contract, we cannot provide boosters from sites other than Poynton.
We are confident that this is the right decision for our patients, allowing us to support our most vulnerable patients whilst focussing on re-establishing our core services across our local practice bases.
Please see our COVID Booster Vaccinations – Frequently Asked Questions